Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2018Reptile (noun)
rep·tile [rep-til, -tahyl]noun
1. any cold-blooded vertebrate of the class Reptilia, comprising the turtles, snakes, lizards, crocodilians, amphisbaenians, tuatara, and various extinct members including the dinosaurs.
2. (loosely) any of various animals that crawl or creep.
3. a groveling, mean, or despicable person. adjective
4. of or resembling a reptile; creeping or crawling.
5. groveling, mean, or despicable.Related forms
rep·ti·loid [rep-tl-oid] /ˈrɛp tlˌɔɪd/, adjectiveRelated Words for reptile
cur, toad, coward, rascal, louse, slink, dastard, cheater, snake, informer, skunk, scoundrel, wretch, heel, weasel, reptileSee more synonyms for reptile on Thesaurus.comOrigin:
1350–1400; Middle English reptil < Late Latin reptile, noun use of neuter of reptilis creeping, equivalent to Latin rept ( us ) (past participle of repere to creep) + -ilis -ile( Collapse )